1) less is more this is true on so many levels. there’s a reason why sites like lookbook.nu sucks so much. practically every member there must exaggerate everything. that’s not the way to go. make it simple, so that it means more. clothing should always come first. put the focus on that. other accessories isn’t necessary, and if you really want, use them to a minimal extent.
2) black/white looks good with everything - this goes without saying; if you’re uncertain about what might fit with your top, or skirt or whatever, think always black/white first.
3) rather safe than risky this should be the other way around i know, but seriously - if you do not know what to wear one day, or an outfit you’ve thought about doesn’t look good after all when it’s on you, go with something safe rather than being unsure. you should feel comfortable in what you’re wearing. (which is another tip actually!)
4) black and blue denim are a must. have them. everything can look good with them. they’re the standard clothing pieces. white/black shirts too.
5) clutches are cooler they really are! ;P
6) blazers are awesome why? because they can look good with most piece of clothings. black, and especially white just looks damn good. (sidenote! blazers have the effect of making you look serious, so if you don’t want be taken as a serious person, and perhaps older, then they aren’t for you!)
7) multi shoes/jackets this is a general tip - if you use the same one pair of shoes or a jacket, it gets ruined and old-looking fast. better have many of them to give one a rest and to not wear the same thing everyday, really. you also get more ‘outfit ideas’ out of them. this tip is for the newbies, hehe.
8) jeffrey campbell’s lita dear god NO. not only does it make you a fashion victim, but it makes you look small. they just look so damn ugly and ruins whatever great outfit you might be wearing. i seriously unfollow anyone who reblog these fucking ugly-ass shoes.
9) know your style this is more of a shopping tip, actually. personally, i used to like a lot of things when going to a store. i would practically want to buy everything… this was because i was in an early fashion stage where i didn’t really know what my style was. nothing was really cohesive, and i wasted so much money on clothes that i regret buying to this day. fortunately, i know better now and hopefully you do too by taking my advice; it’s better to spend money on standard pieces of clothings that are a must (black pants, white shirt for example), than wasting money on every new trend that rolls around. especially accessories are to stay away from. be smart with your money, basically. finding your own style can be hard and it takes time, but you’ll get there eventually. once you’ve found it, everything will come together and fit, and best of all, you won’t spend money recklessly. ;)
10) hot pink i’m one of those who loves all kinds of colors and likes to see something different, but this color just doesn’t look good at all. it’s cute, and can look fashionable, but just can’t look good. it’s more of a personal opinion though…
11) earrings vs necklaces try to avoid wearing these together if both of them are big. it’s something hard to pull off… especially if you want to be chic. if you’re wearing one pair of big earrings, then let the focus be on that. and vice-versa for necklaces.
12) piercings i used to love piercings, tongue, lip or what have you, but all of them look trashy. you might disagree, but you’ll think the same eventually. only stomach and nose piercings can look good.
13) ombre hair thank god that shit is over. fashion victim is all i can say about it.
14) elin kling try to look more like her because dear fucking lord she has an awesome sense of style. always tries new looks and manages to make it effortless and chic. she’s a perfect example of someone who knows her style extremely well, so you never see her with a complete different style each time. there’s consistency in there; it’s simple/sporty and a bit edgy. can’t get better than her.
15) less is more this needs to be said twice. remember that folks.
16) tumblr best way to get inspired, really. have good awareness of who has truly taste and who is about to lose it. some blogs reblog way too much and the quality isn’t really there. usually, you can immediately tell whether the person has their own style, or they’re just reblogging every nice/fancy picture they see. quality > quantity. also, follow blogs that have a lot of models-on-the-runway photos and use the colors, combinations and fabrics as an inspirtation… because many times the outfits the models are wearing are really hideous and would look weird wearing them. but you’re not supposed to copy those outfit anyway. it’s meant to show you the latest fashion and inspire you. that’s how i see it anyway. also, stay away from blogs that do promos and does stupid silly question games and whatnot. aaand those who are insecure about themselves and constantly reblog skeleton models and hope to look like them. (this is just common sense tip!)
17) converse eww! they’re quite popular, i know, but dear god they look so unflattering on anyone who wears them and just makes your feet look bigger. it’s especially a big no-no if you want to look chic. (also, converse very often looks dirty given they’re made of fabrics, and well, that’s never a good look.)
18) nothing to wear? don’t worry! the olsen twins can save you without even trying; take a look at these and get inspired: ( 1# , 2# , 3# , 4# )
19) being effortless is the key in fashion. wear your clothes as you have just put them on in that last minute. this goes back to the less is more tip. don’t think too much about it. however, bear in mind that being effortless doesn’t necessarily mean that everything should be kept in minimal; you can still be effortless and not only have a jeans and white top on. it’s all about how you put it together. the olsen twins are proves of that.
20) being skinny helps making you look effortless, which is one of the most important advice for tip 19, actually. i’m not encouraging anorexic body or starvation (something I can’t stand), but just having a nice body helps the cause, and is good for pretty much anything else.
21) if/when frusturated can’t find anything to wear? or you find soemthing, but it doesn’t look anyway? or do you feel like you aren’t good at putting an outfit together and inspire people like so many other people do? it should be easy, right? well, no matter what, at the end of the day, remember that fashion is about having fun. if nothing goes together, then just put some random shit on. make it exciting and risky! it’s only when you take a risk, good ideas will form. how do you think those people that inspire you get their ideas? also remember, they don’t always have great outfits. that should tell you something!
22) leather jacket buy one because it goes with most colors/fabrics and it makes anything look better. plus, you’ll look fierce!
23) grey jeans what’s with grey jeans looking good with almost any heels/shoes? it actually makes certain ugly shoes you don’t like bearable… not to mention it looks so great with a white top and red shoes. (also kate moss tend to wear these often, so just saying! ;D)
24) gather the basic! so I’ve hinted throughout this tip-list to have your basic clothing pieces. why? because it’s just that important. before you go on about learning more about fashion and finding your own unique style, you need to have the basic pants and tops in all colors and sizes. without doing that, it makes things a bit messy. you need to have jeans in every colors, and a couple of normal, skinny and boyfriend-type jeans. the same goes for tops/shirts. you need to have black and white first, and then the different shapes of them. you might think it’s not necessary, but trust me, it is. just a simple white top can change an outfit from another white one. it’s about the fitting too. what look best on you? go with that. at the end of the day, the clothes that fit best on you (and the colors for that matter) are your favourites.
25) chanel bag I’m talking about the standard small one most celebs have. just get one in black, be it a fake or not. it goes with everything, and it actually elevates an outfit. makes you look instantly fashionable. (just don’t get the ones with gold chain, but the silver one ;D)
26) accessories can give you ideas/inspirations to what to wear. what does look good with this necklace? how can i make it look good? has anyone wore it? if so, how did they combine it with the rest of the outfit? this goes for bags and shoes as well. personally, I get most of my inspirations from accessories. it makes it easy when you’ve no idea what to wear. it goes back to simple with an edge. it’s about showcasing that little detail in a clever way.